Our laboratories are an integral part of the geotechnical, geo-environmental investigations and geological services. AKMG laboratory has been managed by highly qualified technical manager, material engineer and laboratory technicians for carrying out the routine and special tests according to ASTM, AASHTO BS, & EN standards and other international project specifications and requirements. Our laboratories are equipped to provide comprehensive soil and rock testing, aggregates and earthworks, construction materials and concrete laboratory testing services which meet the appropriate standards.
Through our in-house laboratory testing and other specialist laboratories, we are able to provide a fast, reliable and comprehensive range of laboratory testing and reporting services. AKMG lab is equipped with highly technical instruments and equipments as well as experienced testing which provides Geotechnical reports with minimum delay. Click here to know more about Laboratory Testing
The following are some types of laboratory testing required in different projects:
AGRICULTURE & IRRIGATION
It is essential to test the soil before it can be used for agricultural purposes. We need to check whether the soil is fertile enough for ploughing and does not consist of any harmful substances as humans and animals consume the produce of that land, several chemical tests are done to check the quality of water.
Construction has become widespread in today’s world of growing population. There is an increasing demand of infrastructure, roads, bridges and other associated structures like transmission lines, telecom towers, overhead and undergr. Before the construction is started it is important to test the soil of that site, whether it is strong enough to hold the structure and pressure of the construction. Different tests are conducted in the laboratory to find out all the soil and rock engineering properties.
Each project is equally important for AKM Geotechnical and so we deliver quality analysis of the material that will be used in the project. We deliver timely observation, accurate test results, and cost effective recommendations during both the pre-construction and construction stage of the project. Our well-trained engineers, competent inspectors and technicians, as well as our laboratory testing facility are certified by local and national agencies. AKMG materials testing lab provides field analysis of materials such as asphalt concrete, cement concrete, aggregates, and soils.
This wide range of knowledge and expertise also enhances our engineering design services by allowing us to make site-specific recommendations rather than broad, conservative assumptions that are often commonplace in engineering design. This results in a high-quality, efficient, and sustainable product for our clients.
Materials Engineering identifies, analyzes and recommends optimum types or combinations of structural construction materials. The objective in testing materials combinations is to achieve the perfect balance of critical performance quality for a reasonable investment and encourage the most cost-effective solutions.
If structural materials perform inadequately, or if uncertainties exist about their quality, AKMG can quantify unknown properties, investigate, and report how and why these conditions exist. When requested, we will recommend acceptable alternatives.
Following analysis of materials should be done
- Excavation, observations and recommendations
- Laboratory testing of soils such as moisture-density relationships, Atterberg limits, and grain-size analysis
- Soil and aggregate compaction testing and observations
- Aggregate laboratory testing and analysis
- Fresh concrete testing (including slump, air content, unit weight/yield, temperature)
- Concrete strength laboratory testing
- Concrete mix designOur firm has expertise with the properties of concrete, asphalt, masonry, steel, and other materials, as well as the full range of construction practices. Our test Lab understands how critical safety is to our employees, their families and our clients. Safety is a major component to the services AKMG provides to our clients.
In order to find the quality of the reservoir present in mines, several soil, rock and chemical tests are carried out. AKMG laboratories test various kinds of soils from various offshore and onsite projects from different locations which are tested depending upon the future project. The wide ranges of tests able to be carried out include:
- Classification tests, Chemical tests, Compaction related tests, Compressibility, permeability and durability tests, Consolidation & permeability tests, Shear strength tests (total stress), Shear strength tests (effective stress), Provision of site laboratories and staff for in-situ testing.
- Rock tests, Chemical analysis of contaminated soils and waters. Soil testing is a very important part of the construction as we need to find out whether the soil is strong enough to hold our structure or not. Tests are carried out by the AKMG laboratory to determine the subsurface conditions and correlating that with the information obtained from field testing and sampling.
Our laboratory is fully equipped to perform all soil testing related tests. Such as
GRAIN SIZE ANALYSIS
In grain size analysis we group particles into ranges of sizes to determine the relative proportion of dry weight in each category. Grain size analysis is conducted in two stages. The particles size distribution of coarse grained soils is performed by sieve analysis while the hydrometer test is conducted to establish the distribution of fine-grained soil
This test is used to determine the liquid and plastic limit of soil which tells us the state of soil at different water level contents.
DENSITY AND MOISTURE CONTENT
We measure the dry and wet density of a unit volume of soil and the wet density is always smaller than its dry density. Natural moisture content is the quantity of water contained in a soil or rock sample. It is the ratio of the weight of water to the weight of solids in a given volume of soil or rock sample.
It is the ratio of the weight of a given volume of material to the weight of an equal volume of distilled water at standard temperature. This quantity is used for calculation of void ratio, in hydrometer test, degree of saturation and also weight-volume relationship.
The following chemical tests are carried out on soil and groundwater samples:
- Total dissolved solids
- Chloride content
- Sulphate content
The organic matter present inside material is determined by passing that material through Hydrogen Peroxide. The sample of the material is then dried in an oven and the mass lost in the sample is the amount of organic matter present inside it.
Consolidation is the characteristic of a soil that is associated with the following effects of imposed loading:
- Dissipation of excess pore water pressure consolidation characteristic of clays is determined in the Oedometer cell. A double drainage path is provided to the sample in the form of porous stones at the top and bottom of the sample. The sample used for the consolidation test is completely saturated and remains submerged in the water throughout the duration of the test. The double drainage allows fast dissipation of excess pore water pressure generated as a result of the imposition of static normal load on the sample.
These are some of the tests conducted in our laboratory to test the soil of a project site. There are many more tests that are conducted and after thorough examination it is decided whether the soil is safe to be built on or not.
Interested in Our Laboratory Testing Services?